Special Interview with Dennis Qiu a.k.a. d' Qiu Brick


Today we have a very talented guest of honor, Dennis Qiu a.k.a d' Qiu Brick from Indonesia who is especially known for his sci-fi and monster MOC's. He has built som any great MOC's that we can not fit all the photos in this interview post. So be sure to check out his flickr.com photo-stream for many more great creations. Photos from the work of our guest will be presented between the questions.

Kaplan: We already know you are one of the best LEGO MOC'ers in the world. What can you tell us about yourself other than that. What is your real name? What is your dayjob? Do you have any other hobbies or activities?

Dennis: I am so honored with your words, but I still have much to learn more from other MOC'ers. I am 32 years old and live in Karawang-jawa Barat Indonesia. I am selling construction material for buildings for living. When I'm done with my work, I usually spend my spare time playing with my children Reagan and Kaylean. Beside these, I also do sports like cycling and playing futsal.



K: Do you remember the day when you got your first LEGO set? Which set was it? And How old were you when you started playing with LEGO bricks?

D: When I was 9 or 10 year old, I got 6135 Spy Shark and 6115 Shark Scout system sets.

K: What is your best/unforgettable memory involving LEGO?

D: My best memory with LEGO was in 2013 when my creation was being shown for the first time in toys fair event.


K: If you have to choose, what is your all-time favorite LEGO set?

D: This is 6751 Fiery Legend Creator set.

K: What is/are your favorite LEGO theme/s

D: My favourite LEGO themes are Legends of Chima, Super Heroes (DC/Marvel) and Mixels.


K: Did you have a "dark-age"? If you had one when did you return from your dark age and how?

D: My dark age is for about 20 years and I'm back in 2012 when my wife Anilia gave me 6873 Spiderman set as a present, and since then I start to play LEGO again and try to make MOC's and also looking for LEGO community in my country.

K: How many LEGO bricks/sets do you own approximately?

D: I have quite much LEGO parts, because I have special room for my LEGO.


K: What are your favorite top three of your MOC's?

D: Cerberus, White Tiger and Medusa.

K: Do you scrap your MOC's after taking photos or displaying or do you keep them? How do you decide which ones you keep?

D: I keep several MOC's which I put in the blog and winning contests.  I scrap the rest.


K: What do you think about custom or third party pieces in MOC's?

D: I think it doesn't matter much if they are used , but until now I never used them.


K: You are especially great at building large figures like monsters, aliens and robots. Your techniques and presentations are awesome. Can you give tips about building large scale figures?

D: My secret and creating/building are proportion and joints.


K: Your Voltron MOC is our teams's favourite between your creations. What can you tell us more about it?

D: Voltron was my childhood robot, in the making of it in every section, I  focused to the portion because this is combining 5 lions into one robot, so the proportion from every lion must be concerned, beside that the joints also have to be concerned so the robot wont looked stiff.


K: You are using large head pieces from different sub-themes to complete your figure and they look great. How do you decide using those pieces? Do you firstly choose the headpiece and than you build the body or the other way around?

D: For creating smooth transitions I focused on making the head so that I can measure the proportional body size, arms and legs by making the framework first and than I fill the legs, arms and body.


K: Do you have any suggestions for the new MOC'ers?

D: Don't be too satisfied with the level in building you have reached now and keep being creative.

K: Are you currently working on some MOC's or other LEGO related projects?

D: Curently I am making the Apocalego project together with some of my friends.


K: Do you member of a local LUG? Do you participate in collaborative builds?

D: I was in Bhinneka LUG.


K: And the final question. Tiles or studs?

D: Tiles, but i also like to use studs in some sections of MOC's.

K: Thank you very much again for participating.